Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Art of Home Fries

It's a long weekend here in Ontario so I am celebrating with a special breakfast.

As I was cooking up some home fries...it put me in mind of my Grandfather, I called him Papa.  I was young when he passed away...but we used to live next door to my Grandparents and I was always there.

I loved my Grandma's kitchen...everyone was always visiting, there was always coffee (the good perked kind) and tea, lemon and butter tarts.  Plus there was a magic there...everything always tasted GOOD.

Now my Papa was always up early and he would cook in the basement...he made the best peameal bacon and home fries.  The secret with the potatoes is not to turn them too much...let them get crispy.

I have tried to imitate those home fries but they're just not the same.  The ones I made this morning were pretty darn good...so I'll share...the recipe (if you can call it that).


KIMMIE'S HOME FRIES

I used the little white potatoes...poke with a fork and microwave for 5 minutes.  If you're using larger potatoes...adjust the cooking time.


Then slice into about 1/2 inch pieces, chop up 1/2 of an onion (I like the larger chunky style) and place in a bowl...spice it up....I used onion salt, Cajun spice, Greek spice mixture and toss with olive oil.

Preheat your skillet (medium/high) and add olive oil and a good pat go butter...toss the home fry mixture in the pan and let them fry.  I flipped and tossed them about every 3 or 4 minute...till they were nicely browned and crispy on the outside.

After they were done and plated...I added some salt to my taste.  My Michael thought they were perfect just they way they are.

Hope you're having a lovely day!  Thanks for reading...it's been too long since I posted.

No comments: