Saturday, November 14, 2009

Yummy Apple Dip!

Last weekend I went to a party at my Aunt Shirley's house and I brought a yummy apple dip and a taco dip!

The apple dip is my sister-in-law's recipe. This was my first time making it and I was a little nervous but it turned out so yummy and was a big hit...everyone wanted to know how to make it.
This is one of my favorite treats! It's so simple to make and if you're having a large gathering..you can easily double it. It gets raves!

Diane's Famous Apple Dip

1 - brick of cream cheese
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract (my addition to the original recipe)
1 - 250g tub of caramel sauce (the kind you would use for apple dipping)
3 or 4 Skor Bars
6 Green Apples cut into wedges (you can also use other varieties or even other fruit like Pears)

Mix softened cream cheese (I microwave for 30 seconds to soften) with brown sugar and vanilla. Tip: I use the mixer attachment on my blender to do the cream cheese mixture but I am sure you could mix by hand as well.


Make sure your caramel sauce is at room temperature -- it will be easier to layer.

Crush the Skor Bars into bits (I use a zip lock bag and a rolling pin and pound away).


Layer the cream cheese mixture in the bottom of an 8x8 cake dish, then layer the caramel sauce, top with Skor Bar crumbs.


Serve with apple slices for dipping. (A secret for keeping the cut apples from turning brown is soaking the cut pieces in water with lemon juice.)



The Taco Dip is one that I got from a co-worker...and I've been making it for years - I always get requests to bring this to parties.


Lisa's Taco Dip

Mix together (again I use the mixer attachment for my blender):

1 brick of cream cheese (softened)
1/2 tub (250g) of cottage cheese
1 package of Taco Seasoning

Spread cream cheese mixture over large plate (or tray)

Layer on Top with:

2 to 3 cups shredded lettuce (I cut thinly and then chop again)
2 cups finely diced tomato
2 or 3 diced green onion
2 cups grated cheese (cheddar works well)

Serve with tortilla chips - I like the whole grain ones as they seem to have more flavor.

This dip is very addictive and filling. Everyone is surprised that it has cottage cheese in it.

Have a wonderful weekend!


No comments: